Join us for an intimate and interactive evening of cooking with fellow Vedic meditators, learning the art and science of Ayurveda with master chef Divya Alter.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda comes from the root word Ayus which means 'life' and Veda which means 'knowledge,' thus Ayurveda means 'knowledge of life.' This ancient art and science offers a system of lifestyle practices (including cooking) designed to improve health, longevity and mind-body balance. It can be universally applied to practically any style of cooking, culture or circumstance.
Who is Divya Alter?
Divya Alter is a certified nutritional consultant and educator in the Shaka Vansiya Ayurveda tradition. She is the co-founder of Bhagavat Life, the only Ayurvedic culinary school in New York. She and her husband launched North America’s first Ayurvedic chef certification program and Divya's Kitchen, an authentic Ayurvedic restaurant in Manhattan. This year she published her first cook book What to Eat for How You Feel: The New Ayurvedic Kitchen.
Check out this interview with Divya here.
How do the Cooking Class work?
During the class we explore the art of cooking incredibly tasty, healthy and easy-to-make vegetarian meals based on SVA Ayurveda. You will learn a variety of dishes, flavors, utensils, smells, textures, and colors to make your life better, and walk away finding your kitchen a more comfortable, useful, and inspiring place.
During this one-session class, you will learn:
- The principles of what makes food healthy or not for you
- An overview of how to use spices and make spice mixtures
- An introduction into making entrées, soups, desserts, teas, and grain dishes
- The secrets of making sure your food is easy to digest and assimilate
- Tips on applying Ayurvedic principles to any type of cuisine
- Resources to support you in accessing optimal food choices in the grocery store or at restaurants
The class combines discussion, participatory cooking demonstrations, and ends with a delicious meal for everyone!
As Ayurveda aligns health with the rhythm of the seasons, our intro cooking classes change focus seasonally.
*Classes are vegan and gluten-free friendly. Please notify us upon registering if you have this need.
To enroll in the next class, please complete the registration form below.
Upcoming Cooking Class for Vedic Meditators:
FALL SPICE class
If you feel that it's time to go beyond salt and pepper for food flavoring, this class is for you.
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
6:00 - 9:30 PM
6:00pm - Group meditation
6:30pm - Class begins
- Why use herbs & spices
- The healing benefits
- Storage and shelf life
- Heating, warming and cooling attributes for body-mind balancing
- The 6 essentials-if you can't go for the 20, start with the basic 6
- What goes well with what (and what doesn't)
- Techniques of preparation & use: dry toasting, sautéing, boiling
- Spice blends recipes for your body type, detox, desserts, savories, traveling
- Quick-cooking recipes using the spice blends me make in class
$108 per person
Includes a take home packet of recipes and introduction to Ayurveda
(Limited spots available)
25 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Complete the Registration Form below to reserve your spot.
Information entered on this form is kept strictly confidential.